Pages

Monday, May 11, 2015

The Influence of Voodoo Dolls in Doll Art and The Tranformation Doll Artists Made

Photo Courtesy of Who Doo Art


Doll artists are a fun group of people. We can take scary subjects and turn them into something playful, quirky, offbeat, and completely different than anything see before? How many other groups can be said to do that? No, we are a very unique bunch and enjoy the luxuries of seeing "other worlds" that are unseen to 


Photo Courtesy of This Next

Kind of like Dr. Seuss's Horton Hears a Who! when Horton discovers a Who and an entire Who Village living on a flower that he's now protecting because no one believes him. No one else can hear or see them, until they focus reeeaaaalll hard.

Apparently, voodoo dolls can also be used for good. There are many ways to make one of these dolls. In fact, one method uses natural items and is identical to the way you make a nature doll or spirit doll, or what I copyrighted as Blessing Dolls. 

I've been wanting to make voodoo dolls for quite some time now but don't like the idea of what they represent. I am not a follower of voodoo and don't know much more than mainstream society's view of them. Apparently, they can also be used for very positi. As a doll artist, I get inspired by many things and those experiences will trigger a doll or series of dolls that I want to create. 

 I see, read and enjoy learning about the different types of dolls made throughout history...for different religions, countries and cultures. I don't care for anything that sends out negative energies to hurt or manipulate someone. (Please note, I am not a connoisseur of voodoo or the dolls and don't know everything they represent. I

This idea of making voodoll dolls hasn't gone away for me but I wanted to put a spin on them...to make them postive, not scary, playful, quirky, odd, unique, something different than your average voodoo doll. 

Lo and behold, other artists have the same idea I do! 

From the very little research I've done, voodoo dolls can also be used for good. See Voodoo Doll. Either way, it still doesn't sit right with me. I don't like the idea of sending negative energies to someone or manipulating them to do what I want. 


In New Orleans, one voodoll doll shop explains they are used as, "focusing tools...they help us to enrich our lives with love, properity, good health and many other influences."
Photo Courtesy of Wikia
  • You Doo Dolls (Cartoon by Fairly Oddparent. These are magical voodoo dolls that fairies were allowed to give to children at one time. However, the practice stopped because they are very dangerous.)