Pages

Monday, May 18, 2015

A Doll Is a Piece of a Soul

Photo Courtesy of A Fanciful Twist
Discover what this doll's afternoon adventure is @ 


"When a piece of art from an artist is bought, it is not just an object. 
It contains hundreds of hours of errors and experimentation, 
years of frustration and moments of joy. 
It is not just a thing but a piece of a heart; 
a piece of a soul; 
a small piece of the artist's life."
-by Rebekah Joy Plett 
as published in A for Artistic: Where Artistic Minds Meet Quarterly eMagazine 
Issue Winter 2015


As I'm making my dolls, I don't know where they come from but sometimes, I step back and see reflections of myself. Although that was never my intention, I recognize a memory, an experience, a personality trait, a physical pain, an emotion that gets translated into this being made from cloth, clay, paints, beads and trim. How it all comes together is a mystery because I'm lost in the process and stop when I hear that inner voice tells me, "Stop". 

Seeds planted from the past that I may not even have ever known were sowed but discover them pushing forward as heads of flowers through deep, rich black soil that feels so alive in my hands when I garden. It smells fresh and rich, ALIVE! I love seeing the brightly colored, new growth peeking through the darkness, growing tall and strong. 

Even though there looks like there was nothing there and now there is, what lies beneath the fertile soil and depths of our soul? Even the crap in our lives acts as fertilizer, making for some fantastic grounds to reap a harvest. But who wants hardship? Pain? I don't. But I do recognize the gifts that can come from them if we allow ourselves to receive. 

Something where there was once nothing. New growth...they are always surprises for me and if I'm expecting my seeds to sprout, I always hurry with anticipation to see the first signs of bright green life peeking through that blackness. It still amazes me how our experiences transform themselves into these things, these objects, what we create from them. 

This one quote generated all these thoughts.