Pages

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Studio Time


Spending time in my studio becomes a Zen-like experience and calm for me. Hours pass without notice while I rummage through my art books, fabrics, and vintage findings. On the side is a hot cup of steaming tea. I love how the swirls of steam dance above the mini-ocean of the black tea leaves.

Soon, there will be a larger space to work in. For now, my studio is a small corner of my living room. Vintage suitcases stacked neatly on top of each other protect treasures that will one day add distinctive flair and history to my creations.

Guess what I found? Boxes of art dolls I previously created some years ago. Early pieces. Some were finished, or so I thought, while others are UFO's (UnFinished Objects). I've decided to begin working on them again to make them "better". When is a piece ever really completed? Do you think if you look back on one of your pieces years from now, will you still be satisfied? Do you ever really meet your best? Personally, I don't think so. My best is always evolving. I don't think I will ever be able to reach it.



Since missing this year's Hoffman Challenge, I gave myself the freedom to develop the pieces in the directions they were evolving in. Originally, 8 promising little lives were all standing by, all waiting to possibly be selected to compete. One by one, they were disqualified. This year, they just weren't meeting the criteria outlined in the rules. It didn't feel right to make them become something they really didn't want to be.

After going round and round in my mind, deciding what I should do, it finally came down to this: Instead of trying to make them "fit" into categories that weren't them, allow them to become who they inherently are. Even if it doesn't meet another's expectations, that's okay. There will always be another opportunity. What's important is you need to follow your path instead of following someone else's standards. Their standards aren't necessarily the right ones for you and vice versa. That's why God put us in different bodies, so we can travel on the paths he set out solely for us.




So, here I am with 8 little devine beings plus the boxes of dolls found in our attic. Into my studio I go, searching for ideas in the boxes and books and drawers, to add to these pieces. Once done, I'll place them on eBay or Etsy but haven't decided which one. Perhaps both. A new wrestling match now begins...

9 comments:

yvonne said...

Would love to see what you do with all the dolls you found. Isn't that fun!!!

Mrs. Art Doll Maker said...

Thank you, Yvonne, for stopping by and leaving a comment. I'll be posting them as they're finished. I actually can't wait until I get through with all of them because I have a hot doll project I want to begin but promised myself not to start it until these were completed.

JKW said...

I love that you gave up and let them have their way. Dolls have a way of letting you know what they want. You sound relaxing which led to creatively expressing. I love the doll you are going to be putting up (in the next post). She is Bluetiful. Blessings, Jan

Mrs. Art Doll Maker said...

Thank you, Jan, for your wonderful comments. It was a difficult decision for me, personally, to make but one I'm glad I did. It was the right decision. The freedom to just "let go" and be completely open with however they developed was liberating.

My target is to place a new piece up for auction every week or so until they are all adopted. Then, I can begin implementing my new designs, which I am so excited about, and possibly release a series for another design I'm considering.

morton-n-freinds said...

I've learned some things simply by reading your experiences and that has opened my eyes and made me think, in a good way, about how I'll deal with my own future challenges and guide lines I actually resented having to follow but said nothing choosing to silently rage, never even considering that I, as the artist do have a choice,When a challange or project is not "me" thats ok, there will be other ones, and I'm a happier exepting that, thank you for sharing your journey.

Mrs. Art Doll Maker said...

You're welcome. Thank you so much for stopping by to read my blog and sharing your comments. I understand completely when you speak about not saying anything. Even after we decline, sometimes people will still try to "lure" us in with all these tempting "sweets" or downright pressure us. Now, I'm using reminders about what I want to do to keep me on track.

Anonymous said...

So where is your art?? Copying clip art is not art

Mrs. Art Doll Maker said...

There are some pics of my work throughout the blog. The clipart is not to replace it but to enhance the blog entries. It just makes it more fun.

As far as the other ones I have not posted yet, the pics aren't coming out good enough to post. I'm looking to set up a place for my photo tent so the shots come out a lot better.

Mrs. Art Doll Maker said...

Also, the blog isn't just to showcase my work. I like to post on things that come up as I am working on my pieces. Things that other artists may not think of, could provide someone with a different insight, or just might give them a laugh.

Thanks for stopping by!