Friday, October 23, 2009
Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...
Here is the Halloween ornament I made for a swap. The guidelines indicated it couldn't be larger than 4" in any direction. His height does meet that requirement; but, I like to play with illusions. He looks larger than that because I added an extension that could be adjusted. His tail extends 2" above his head. If necessary, it could be brought down to fit within the standard requirement. (I also did this with the Round Robin doll, Colette, which can be seen in a previous post. Her body met the requirements of around 13". Yet, I created her wings to extend out to a full 28" when stretched. Otherwise, they wrapped around her body like a little shawl.)
At certain angles, his body gives off a greenish hue through his top black coat. It makes for a really cool effect.
My embroidery needs improvement because I had a difficult time filling in his nose and heart with even stitches.
This piece is hand stitched, hand embroidered, and hand painted. He stands on his own.
Materials: heavy forest-green velvet, silky Indian fabric, felt, gesso, acrylic paints, sealer, twigs, clay, fibers, embroidery floss, chenille stem.